Supplemental FLAS Competition for CESSI Study
The Center for Russia, East Europe, and Central Asia (CREECA) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is running a second-round Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) summer fellowship competition exclusively for study at CESSI. Read more on the News & Updates page.
Courses to be held in a virtual format for Summer 2021 with plans to return to in-person instruction in Summer 2022.
Programs are being planned for a virtual format, giving undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, instructors, as well as professionals from the private and public sectors options to grow their language and cultural fluency. This format gives ample opportunities for cultural activities, language practice in social settings, and interactions with partners and in groups. In this virtual environment, each language program will still carry the high-level of rigor that allows participants to make significant gains in less commonly taught languages.
Tech Requirements At a Glance for Summer 2021 Instruction
The following technology is required to participate in CESSI Summer 2021. This is a general guide, more specific instructions will be shared with students in the coming weeks.
The minimum requirements of your computer system for this mode of instruction are well beneath what most computers are typically capable of:
- 2 GB RAM minimum, more recommended
- 20 MB free disk space
- Sound Card
- Headset with microphone/headphones, or speakers and a good-quality echo canceling microphone
- The minimum bandwidth recommended by Zoom (for high-quality video) is 2.0Mbps, for the highest quality video 3.8Mbps is required; an additional 50-75kbps is required when screen sharing. In general, aim for 3Mbps for class time.
- Classes will be based out of the platform Canvas. You can access this platform through your MyUW account (my.wisc.edu) or directly via this link: canvas.wisc.edu.
- On this platform your instructors may post resources, create assignments and discussion boards, and post class announcements.
- We encourage you to display your pronouns in Canvas. To do so, please follow this guide from DoIT. Additionally, there are many campus resources on pronoun use at UW-Madison. Please see the following information:
Courses for CESSI 2021
Courses offered for CESSI 2021 will be announced soon. Please check back here for updates.